As I covered more and more Social Work modules and knowledge, I realised being a good Social worker is so not easy. I inspire to help or guide adolescents because as an adolescent, I hoped for certain things which were not given to me at all or perhaps, not enough was given.
But after watching I Not Stupid 2, I realise it's very difficult to help or guide adolescents. I put myself as a social worker and imagined the boy in the movie as my client. I completely don't know what to do. I realise somethings are just easier said than done. Help youths. How to help leh?
Whenever my social work lecturers give examples, I'll react with a ''Orh....". But when it's my turn to brainstorm, my brain just cant seem to get the right answer.
Interesting issues to be considered
1. Autonomy
2. Media
3. Communication
4. Punishment (Physical)
Timothy Sim said that we should never ask WHY because it involves a certain degree of blaming. And we shouldn't say WE UNDERSTAND because each situation is unique and we'll never totally understand how our clients feel.
Today, I concluded myself from I Not Stupid 2 is that we should never ever say to adolescents, "为什么你听不懂? 讲不听?" 因为,如果听得懂,讲有听,then they wouldn't be called 'adolescents' liao right? I believe what they need more is support and guidance rather than nagging and scolding. At least, this is what I feel.
2 Kommentare:
then how to give them the [support] and [guidance]?
i've got a sister who is 13 yrs old now.. and i tell u.. it's so hard to communicate sometimes. i know dr sim said it's e adults who shd do more to communicate.. but using my sister as an eg, when she decides not to talk.. it's reali almost impossible to make her talk.. but whenever she feels like talking.. she yak yak yak non stop to me..
we can give them the guidance.. but will they accept it?
-swmate
actually im not sure myself. But if we try, theres nth impossible. And from the movie, i realise to speak their lingo is quite impt..
It was very funny to hear the adults using adolescents' lingo in the wrong way. But at least Jack Neo tried..
"so lame... cool man.."
but also, i dun mean to protect them always. i think to let them fall down once in a while might help too. In this way, they might understand better? Like the naughty boy in I Not Stupid..
But overall I think it's a 大学问 la.. tough.
Kommentar veröffentlichen