I need to finish seeing 10 students today, so I reached super early to grab a cup of coffee and a bun for breakfast before I start my l-o-n-g day of being a naggy old grandmother. I started off with the students who have a higher possibility of playing truant... and it went pretty well, I thought.
There's this boy who was grinning from ear to ear when I asked about his report book. He said he passed every subject, and I cheered for him. It was hard not to believe him because he was smiling throughout the whole individual session! Called the guardian in late afternoon, and guess what. The guardian said that he failed every single subject. By right, any usual adult will believe in what the guardian said. But I still hold on to the belief that my student did not lie to me. And I'm starting to be concern about the reason behind his lie, if let's say he really lying...
And this, reminded me of what one of my colleagues said. Always take kids' words with a pinch of salt. They may promise certain things and not deliver them. They may lie because of various reasons. They may not tell you everything too. Just like how my youth refuses to tell me what happened when something did happen to her.
Back to the kid who lied to me this morning, the guardian sounded tired, and started ranting about how slow the kid is, how playful he is... and that he has not improved any bit. I questioned his expectations for the kid, asking how much time would he give the child to prove that he can perform well academically. He said "half a year". And when I asked, "do you think he can improve within half a year?", he said "no".
He is setting the kid up for failure lor - having unrealistic expectations of him... -_-
*
Stayed back in office till about 9 plus. Wanted to start typing my closure report, but ended up reflecting and drawing a picture of my dear boy. Oh, that's because I do not have a proper photo taken together with him and I want to make something for him.
*
Just try my best. Oh yeah, I agree with you, Seng Meng. :)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen