Mittwoch, Februar 21, 2007

My Undergraduate Days #32 (Placement Day 5.)

Today I am really very very happy. :D

My first ever focus group went well- in fact, very well. The older adults were very willing to participate and thoughts were being expressed freely. With Karen's help, I managed to collect some really interesting viewpoints. (Kudos to Kaiyin who provided the idea!)

One thing to note is that I should have prepared warm drinks instead of cold ones. Stupid me. Nevertheless I was praised for my performance in focus group. YAY!

I guess the nursing home seldom carry out focus group, because a nurse actually noticed our group and asked about it when I was about to knock off. Haa, I like the way my work arouses people's interest.

In addition, I was pleasantly surprised to meet one acquaintance in the Day Rehabilitation side. I thought he's a volunteer. I was so wrong. He's actually helping his grandma with her physiotherapy! We chatted further and I found out that he's visiting EVERY DAY to help his grandma with physiotherapy!

He's a student, like you and me, and he's visiting his grandma every day, spending a few hours with her and helping her with the physiotherapy. And he has been doing this for a year, not just a few days. I watched him with admiration as he helped his grandma.

I am so so touched. I wish I could play a part in encouraging and supporting him. Because after all my intensive reflection recently, I understand that support is a very important and magical thing.

While some people make their utmost effort to spend as much time as possible with their loved ones , others choose to fulfil their needs first because they think that their ego is more important, more important than anything else.

Also, I've figured out that as long as I get to interact and connect with my clients (that means, excluding the intellectually disabled), I am already a very happy Social Worker. It doesn't matter which field in Social Work I am working in. Once you've found something that you really enjoy doing, you'll understand what I mean.

Proud to be a student social worker, Koh Cindy.

P/S: For the very first time, I made a namecard for myself. Usually I'm asked to carry a volunteer's card. For people who've worked with me, you all would have known that I hate to be identified as a volunteer. So yep, I wrote my name and hanged it around my neck. Although not many people noticed it, an older adult and a nurse noticed and they bent towards me to see what's on the card. :)

Keine Kommentare: