Montag, Juni 26, 2006

Career Crisis.

I've been having this career crisis since I started my undergraduate years. Jane has also been reminding me that I should visit the career guidance thingy provided in NUS. We sort of decided to go together (to support each other) next semester. Meanwhile, I am still struggling to try to sort things out for myself.

For the past few months, I have decided that I can foresee myself working in the Social Work field till I grow old. I think I have repeated the above phrase for many many times to different people already but sorry, I have to repeat it.

But then again, I have to settle financial matters first. I have house loan to pay, study loan to pay, own expenses to pay, etc. Perhaps I can leave my own expenses aside for some months but house loan and study loan can't wait!

By the time I state these pointers out, people would have said "Who ask you to work in VWOs? You can always work in MCYS where you get more money!" or "Don't you have two brothers?"

I understand the above two points very much but sad to say, I would enjoy more hands-on intervention. (Right now, I am still not sure if MCYS Social Workers get to do hands-on stuff. I will try to check out from my colleagues.) And, one of my brother is still schooling. The other is married and has a lot of commitments himself.

So, I thought of being an air-stewardess, earn some *ka-ching* and get to fly all over the world. I've always dream of travelling around the world. People then start to say " Air-stewardess?? Later you become very materialistic one!" or "Huh? You got the standard to be air-stewardess meh?"

Not everyone is materialistic and will become materialistic. As I've stated earlier, my most branded stuff is my Giodano jeans/ Converse tees and bags.

And blah, I know I don't really have that kind of elegant air in me but that's not very comforting ah, thank you. I also start to wonder if I will actually enjoy being an air-stewardess. I just can't be sure.

Anyway, despite all the suan-ings and all, I've decided to go apply for air-stewardess in most probably, SIA. I also told myself that I must have a back-up plan just in case I'm not qualified to become an air-stewardess. But, I've no back-up plan yet.

After my air-stewardess job for around 3 to 4 years, hopefully, I would have earned enough money to buy a proper housing or pay off my loans. By then, I can really settle down to be a Social Worker in a VWO because I would have no financial worries. The only problem I can foresee is the drop in living standards but I think I can do it since I grow up in such an environment.

Overall, the plan I came up with a few months ago is:

Air-stewardess for 3 to 4 years-----> Social Worker till I grow old

Since yesterday, I have been thinking if I should have a change in plans.

My colleague, Tremandy said that if I were to leave the Social Work field for a few years, a lot of things would have changed and I might have difficulty catching up. I have thought of that but I didn't felt that it was so much of a problem. It was only when she pointed out a real life example that I realised the possible danger of me feeling lost if I were to have a few years break from this field.

Today, two new colleagues arrived in SCS Clementi. One of them was my senior SW major classmate. Suddenly, I felt so envious of them because they can get to do all the fun things that I did throughout my attachment. I suddenly felt a little sad because I am going to leave the agency in a few weeks time. I've asked them why they chose to join a VWO and both of them said they would like hands-on rather than policy-planning. Money do not seem to be a big problem to them. One of them even gave me a shocked face when I said I have to help pay house loan.

Now I am wondering how much a Social Worker earns in a VWO but I don't dare to ask any of my colleagues because it is a sensitive issue. At least I think so.

So I start to think on my way back home. If I can only earn $1600 per month, will I survive? I asked my mum if it is enough. She gave me a very duh face and said "OF COURSE NOT ENOUGH LA!".

"But what if I really really want to be a Social Worker?"
This, I didn't tell my mum. I think she might really feel that I am mad.

I think, think, and think. If I take four tuition kids, earning $150 from each kid, I will have an extra $600 per month. In total, $2200! I will put two kids on Saturday and another two kids on Sunday. If I happen to have Family Day or any other activities, I will lump my tuition sessions together. Every day will be occupied and I seem to have no life. But anyway, if I am not working, I would have slept at home anyway lor. So I might as well go and earn some money.

So, I am considering my second option now. I want to talk about this with a career counsellor in school or with my supervisor.

I feel that Social Work has made me think so much more than before. It's definitely a mistake if I stop practising in this field.
*deep thinking once more*

11 Kommentare:

Mango and Party hat gesagt…

Harlow,

You can catch up one, if you leave SW and then come back cos of your interest in SW ba.. it just takes time... time which experience might have been accumulated... However, if you do have real issues waiting for you, it is understandably really a tough decision...
If you have such a strong interest in SW and believe in it so much, please do consider if you are ready to let it go. Go ahead and ask us about pay and stuff, or options in MYCS lor, you are a student now mah, it is your entitlement to find out all you can! :)
If you are one who needs to be motivated by interest to sustain yourself in your work, follow where your heart leads and you might find ways out..
No matter what, see you around in social work field ya, it has been such a joy working with you (admist all the wild laughter and *sulks*, haha), with the strong interest you have in SW and to have seen you grow more confident in yourself (got lah, dun frown lah, you did lah) since the day you first stepped in.

Gambatte Kudasai!

=D

Cindy hat gesagt…

Thanks! :)

Oh yes, i need to be motivated by interest to sustain myself in work one. i cant imagine myself doing sth whh i dun like. i'll sulk even more than the day I got "flashed" a lot of times during night hike!plus, my personal belief is to follow and do whatever i like.

i think my way of thinking sort of changed after a talk with Jian Jian. I didn't become more optimistic..haha but i tried to think in such a way that it's ok to make mistakes and I shall learn as i go step by step. SO its okay if i stumble now or even in the future when im practisin SW.

Haha.. i got grow more confident meh? haha in wad way? wow. i dunno if its true.... heheh..

Mango and Party hat gesagt…

Hehe...

Din you notice your laughter getting wilder and your timely squat for wild wails- that was classic... compared to the quiet little mouse lurking around, you have been asking more/ louder, thinking more, facilitating more, picking up and practising nice affirmng skills.... ahhh... that is all for now folks, the rest will find their way to your farewell affirmation. :D

Whee....

Cindy hat gesagt…

I WHERE GOT SQUAT DOWN WHEN I LAUGH!!!??? :S

Cindy hat gesagt…

wee!! anyway, MUACKSS!!! thanks for encouagement! :D

Anonym hat gesagt…

zzz... did too... not squat and laugh... but you squatted and wailed right in front of all of us. That moment I wished I had a camera with me!!

too lazy to sign in...
=D

Cindy hat gesagt…

AHHHH!!! i think i did but i cant rem it's becos of wad.. must be some funny/lame joke ryte!

(: yu :) hat gesagt…

hmm.. career crisis?

sounds to me tt u might be fixated at erikson's identity vs identity confusion stage right now..

seems lk u are still searching for an identity which u would want others to identify u as..

i feel tt u still have 1 or 2 years before u go out the field.. dun be too hurried to decide ya career path..

surely not ALL VWOs give their workers low pay right?
and by then maybe u've got yaself a rich husband le so u can simply pursue ya interest in sw without worries le..

=) relax.. take a deep breath.. go all out to enjoy ya placement now.. guess that's e most impt thing here and now..

Cindy hat gesagt…

haha i guess ur main point is to ask me to relax and take it easy.. did i get u correctly?

(: yu :) hat gesagt…

"sounds to me tt u might be fixated at erikson's identity vs identity confusion stage right now..

seems lk u are still searching for an identity which u would want others to identify u as.." n u r still searching for an identity ba..

this is my main point lor..

Cindy hat gesagt…

haha.. i think i am but.. refer to my blog entry whh is posted recently...

http://dasscindylebt.blogspot.com/2006/06/finding-my-own-direction.html